Remember how I was planning to recover our couch?
Well, it is finally finished! Here's how it went down:
Fabric. I ordered 11m of black cotton hemp through www.hempgallery.com.au. Prior to ordering, I had a think about how I would go about recovering this beast and took down measurements of all the separate bits I needed. In Adobe Illustrator, I layed out all the shapes on an artboard and proceeded to move them around until they fit snugly together within the fabric width, with minimal wastage. This 'puzzle' was then a guide to cutting all the separate shapes out of the roll of fabric.
I made the cushions first - six in total. They're pretty rectangular, yet squishy, so I didn't have too much trouble hiding my mistakes. I didn't skimp on putting in a zip on each (even though I soooo wanted to: I hate zips!) but now each of the cushion covers is washable.
Removing the arms of the couch was a laborious yet necessary step (mostly done by Patrick... he's a good one, that one - Note to self, buy a hatchet wrench!).
Our living room turned into a workshop for most of the afternoon, fitting the arm covers and stretching the back and seat cover piece and nailing everything in place.
But then it was done! And we are very happy with the result. For $240 and a few hours work over a few weekends, we pretty much have a brand new couch.